 Administrative / General / 6532
Re: Marion helmets, dark gray, 100-300
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 03:04:17 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeff Elliott writes:
"Suzanne D. Rich" wrote:
I know that the idea of buying bulk elements is very exciting. In fact, I
don't know anyone who isn't looking forward to it. But please remember that
Brad has never asked this community what it would like.

I don't mean to be a party pooper. I just want everyone to understand very
clearly what the facts are thus far. It should never be assumed that LEGO
Direct will produce any specific element, no matter how badly we want it. I
will feel everyone's pain if there are disappointments regarding LEGO Direct.

Hmm... this is almost, but not *quite* true:
To quote Brad's posting:

# The beauty of this system is that it potentially allows us
# to manufacture elements which we are not currently producing - which
# will give you the ability to **commission** purchase of elements long

I'm afraid you're missing what I see. Taking ALL above words literally:

       potentially.     allows.     ability.

# out of production (assuming we still have the molds and that you as a group
# can commit to the minimum aggregate purchase). We hope to begin this
# service late this year or early in 2001.
(emphasis mine)

        assuming.       minimum [unknown].     hope.

He doesn't *commit* to listening to our suggestions for the rolling
piece selection -- but (from my reading of the language) leaves open
a strong suggestion that he may do so.

       suggestion.   may.

Furthermore, in a post to lugent.dear-lego a few months back, Brad said:
# In addition to a selection of standard bricks, we will also be
# offering a dozen or so "non-standard" items which we will, in a couple of
# weeks, want to have your input on. (Start mobilizing those votes for windows
# now.) Also, we will

        "non-standard" [undefined] items.

This gives a much stronger impression that he wants input,

Perhaps he intended to give you that stronger impression. perhaps to some your
wishes appear only as free marketing data. a commodity.

maybe that doesn't matter if you're aware of it.

but I still see him saying, "input after offering."

although, again, he's only actually saying that he *plans*
to ask us for input; he has never actually popped the question... :)

true. Nor has he alluded to how his data gathering machine would work, or what
it would look like to us, or where it would take place, or when, or how it would
be used (and by whom), or how it could be assumed accurate, or what the
consequences/expectations of that data could/would/should be for him/me/you.
  [gasp] all that would start to sound unattractive...

So, all told, I think there's every reason to believe that Lego Direct
intend to take into account our wishes (to some extent) when choosing
the pieces that will be made available.

Perhaps. initially. to some extent. perhaps to insure an initial success.

However, there is no reason to believe that they want our input on any
other matter - pricing, shipping, quantity discounts, regional availability,
etc, etc.

nope.
But! (I think) when AFOLs have an important point that TLC might otherwise miss,
then it is very good, for all, that the person speak up. I've seen some great
points made. Views from unique perspectives see things I never would have known.

Not that this will keep us from talking, of course. :)

of course. :-)
I am happy to see people talking. That is why we are here, right?

Please be aware that what I said here is my opinion only. no official statement
of LUGNET, no inside knowledge, nothing but how I feel when I read exactly what
you read too.

-Suz