 Administrative / General / 6519
Re: Marion helmets, dark gray, 100-300
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 19:24:52 GMT

"Suzanne D. Rich" wrote:

I know that the idea of buying bulk elements is very exciting. In fact, I don't
know anyone who isn't looking forward to it. But please remember that Brad has
never asked this community what it would like.

I don't mean to be a party pooper. I just want everyone to understand very
clearly what the facts are thus far. It should never be assumed that LEGO Direct
will produce any specific element, no matter how badly we want it. I will feel
everyone's pain if there are disappointments regarding LEGO Direct.

-Suz

Hmm... this is almost, but not *quite* true:

To quote Brad's posting:

# The beauty of this system is that it potentially allows us
# to manufacture elements which we are not currently producing - which
# will give you the ability to **commission** purchase of elements long
out of
# production (assuming we still have the molds and that you as a group
can
# commit to the minimum aggregate purchase). We hope to begin this
service
# late this year or early in 2001.
(emphasis mine)

He doesn't *commit* to listening to our suggestions for the rolling
piece selection -- but (from my reading of the language) leaves open
a strong suggestion that he may do so.

Furthermore, in a post to lugent.dear-lego a few months back, Brad said:
# In addition to a selection of standard bricks, we will also be
offering a dozen
# or so "non-standard" items which we will, in a couple of weeks, want
to have
# your input on. (Start mobilizing those votes for windows now.) Also,
we will

This gives a much stronger impression that he wants input, although,
again,
he's only actually saying that he *plans* to ask us for input; he has
never
actually popped the question... :)

So, all told, I think there's every reason to believe that Lego Direct
intend to take into account our wishes (to some extent) when choosing
the pieces that will be made available.

However, there is no reason to believe that they want our input on any
other matter - pricing, shipping, quantity discounts, regional
availability,
etc, etc.

Not that this will keep us from talking, of course. :)

Jeff Elliott