 Administrative / General / 6487
Re: Pre-announcement: member pages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 04:05:21 GMT

This is a pre-announcement of an upcoming LUGNET member feature where you can
make your own web pages on LUGNET.

You'll be able to do it all right from your web browser using HTML forms --
similar to posting messages from the web in that you get a big text box that
you can type into, but different in that you can go back and edit things later
and you can also add simple text formatting, links, and embed images.

Here are some examples of pages already created using this facility:

<snip>

Wow, oh wow!
I had some slight indication that this was developing but this is great!
Beyond what I could ever imagine... fabulous!

We may also add a "template" collection or "page wizard" later to make it even
easier yet to make new pages quickly.  Template examples would include things
like LEGO set review forms, news article bookmark lists, personal photo
galleries with narratives, FAQ entries, lexicon/acronym/dictionary entires,
etc.  Underneath, it just needs a layer which maintains data in a structure
form (rather than free-form) and as a last step displays this data via a
template.

This sounds great. I love the idea.
Does this mean that later on, machine-generated reviews/FAQ
lists/galleries/etc. can be created on the spot? that is, if they have the
same structure, could there be a "review center" instead of lugnet.reviews,
which will allow you to easily search the db for reviews (with the same
concept applicable to dictionary/FAQ/lexicon, and so forth)?

If so, that would be SO excellent. (Even if not so. :)

We're hoping to cut the initial release of this to LUGNET members by the 15th
of May.  All the guts of it are there now (as you can see) -- we just need to
tie up loose ends.

Yesss! I can't wait!

-Shiri

P.S. Boo-Boo is adorable!