 Administrative / General / 6107
Re: Improper threading (was: Re: the latest news)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:59:42 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

BTW, Ben -- could you please try an experiement for me?  Reply to this
message when you receive it, but at the very last moment, before sending it
to lugnet.admin.general@lugnet.com, change that instead to lehman@javanet.com
(or if your e-mail software doesn't let you change it, perhaps you could add
that address).  I'll be able to take a closer look at the raw message that
way.  Perhaps there is some nonstandard header that your mailer is sending
which could be used.

OK, got your reply -- Thanks.

Looking at its headers, I'm afraid the news is bad:  there's no nonstandard
header being used for references, even when you just hit regular 'Reply'.
And I can also confirm that it's not using the standard NNTP 'References:'
or SMTP 'In-Reply-To:' headers either.  :-(

I don't see any server-side solution or workaround being possible.[1]

--Todd

[1] Other than analyzing what's below the "---Original Message---" portion,
which would be insane to bother doing.