 Administrative / General / 6081
Re: urls test
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 02:43:06 GMT

Just an observation for Matt:

I am using MS Outlook Express 5 and <http:...> does not show up as a link,
neither does <ftp:...>.
However:

<URL:...>
<news:...>
and mailto:...
do show up as links.

One day every browser and newsreader will behave well, and we will look upon
these days and laugh... right? :)

Build On!
John Matthews

Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote in message
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
I avoid it by composing messages in a text editor which doesn't break • words
across 80-column boundaries.  (Or in Netscape Navigator, which doesn't • break
them either.)

There was discussion on this a long time ago, but I don't remember the
result. According to RFC 1738, linebreaks and other whitespace should be • ok
in <URL:...> format urls.

Amusingly, the html version of the RFC at
<http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1738.html> doesn't follow its own advice....

Personal note: I've decided that <http:...> is just as good as <URL:...>.
The <URL:...> form ought to be recognized, but so should <http:...>,
<ftp:...>, <news:...>, and <mailto:...>, at least.

--
Matthew Miller                      ---> • mattdm@mattdm.org
Quotes 'R' Us                       --->