 Administrative / General / 6077
Re: urls test
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 14:20:02 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Franks writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Franks writes:
how do you avoid breaking a URL across lines? I don't recall doing anything
different for the two posts mentioned, except with the 'titanic' URL, I
expected it to stay together, and with the one last night, I expected it
to [be] broken.

I might be on(to) something..
<http://www.lugnet.com/off-topic/test/?n=1665&t=i&v=a>

When I try the long-urls in Linux NN, they don't break..  but in my copy of
Windows 98, both NN and MSIE break the urls horridly :(

Wow, that's horrendously bad (browser bug alert!).  Hmm, I never had any
trouble with NN 4.x in Win95 breaking lines.  What version of NN for Win98
are you running?  (Looks like 4.7 from the headers.)

MSIE decided to break the line at the hyphen:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/raw.cgi?lugnet.off-topic.test:1667

:-/

Looks like MSIE & NN for Win32 are possibly interpreting the WRAP=HARD
attribute of the <TEXTAREA> tag a bit too literally.  But IIRC, the WRAP=HARD
attribute isn't (or wasn't) a standard part of HTML.  Perhaps WRAP=OFF or
WRAP=PHYSICAL would be wiser thing to use in the form.  If =PHYSICAL didn't
work (guarantee non-breakage), at least =OFF would show a horizontal
scrollbar and guarantee it.  I'm thinkin' =PHYSICAL wouldn't work to avoid
breakage because it's supposed to mean "submit the text as the user sees it,"
which is probably line-broken.

Would you care to try out WRAP=OFF and WRAP=PHYSICAL with your web browser?
Here's an alternate posting script (just a test -- not guaranteed to stay
around for long) --

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/wraptest.cgi

To use it, click the Reply or Post icon in the web interface to begin
composing a message...then alter the URL from

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/?foo:bar

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/wraptest.cgi?foo:bar&WRAP=wrapmode

where 'wrapmode' is 'PHYISCAL' or 'OFF' (or 'VIRTUAL' if you're curious about
that).

That will override the WRAP=HARD attribute of <TEXTAREA> and put something
else in its place, so that when you click Post Message, it'll be sent to the
server differently than before.

--Todd