 Administrative / General / 5925
Re: No Comment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 18:41:27 GMT

If it's not immediately clear, could you suggest alternatives to consider?
All of the following were tried but looked odd:  "No", "None", "No Rating",
"Don't Rate", "Erase", "Remove".

Unrate. If that's what it does.

I knew I could count on an ex-IBM'er to come up with a good non-word!  :)  :)

OK, so how about "Unrated" in place of "No Comment" if the article has not
yet been rated by you, and "Unrate" in place of "No Comment" if you're
revisiting it later and it has already been rated by you.  Would that be
clearest?

[...]
Now, that may be too complex and you may be working on a different scheme to
deal with "read". In which case never mind

The ratings markers currently each take up about 30 bytes each.  For dealing
with "read" I think there needs to be something more compact, along the lines
of what happens in a traditional '.newsrc' file, where it compacts numeric
ranges.  However, that's no longer time-efficient on random accesses even
though it's space-efficient.  Going with a large bitfield would definitely be
time-efficient on random accesses and probably space efficient enough,
especially if it were binary-treeified.  Another possibility might be to use
ultra-compact run-length encoding on a giant bitflag field and cache the
decompactions.  Has to be fast to store new values too -- although that could
happen into a separate data structure which got folded into the main one
periodically.

(BTW I am still seeing the purple
link bug, still trying to come up with a reproducible scenario... it SEEMS to
be on groups I read a lot when a single new post appears, it shows as read)

AHhhaa -- I know what that is then -- I think.  Have you been "walking off the
end" of any newsgroups with the backward/forward links in the light blue band
at the top?  If so, that would cause your browser to already have seen that
URL.  Which means that showing a go-forward link when there isn't an article
there is extra squiffy.

--Todd