 Administrative / General / 57
Re: FS/T
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 22:45:53 GMT

In market.auction,
sarah@eskimo.com (Perhaps a Princess....) writes:

The Undead <sjava@execpc.com> wrote:
Todd Lehman wrote:
That's on record somewhere else, I was asking about here.

Not that I'm aware of... should it be?

Todd... I don't think people are reading those Terms of Use you had
automatically posted in every group. Any idea of a better way of doing
this?

(Or, if they are reading, the Terms are not understandable enough...
Or people are used to glazing over "legal" terms)

Sarah

I was thinking about this more...  Maybe the thing to do as a backup-plan
to the Terms of Use (without changing the Terms of Use) is to build a
database of real-names associated with each new e-mail address seen, and
for the server to embed the person's real name in the message in an
extended NNTP header, for example:

That way, if someone forgot to include their real name, it would still be
there in the message for anyone who wants to take a peek at the full
header.  And they wouldn't have to check some external list, and we
wouldn't have to make a lugnet.whois newsgroup to carry a list of who
everyone is.

If anyone feels it is an invasion of their privacy, they are welcome to
discontinue usage of this server.

Whaddya think?

--Todd