 Administrative / General / 5622
Re: new posts send via e-mail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:59:02 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
I only use my at-home machine and I'm always logged in. (I have no idea what
my password is) So, do I really need some other confirmation code to simply
add a group to my rcv-by-email list?

The news-by-mail feature was designed and implemented long before memberships
became available, and we both agree that it needs work to bring it up to date.

Wait! don't answer that. I'll assume it's a "yes."

The first time you use that email address, yes, definitely.  (This is SOP for
for any mailing list subscription).

Subsequent times, no, it's not strictly necessary in all cases.  It would be
better if the system just let you specify which of your email address you
wanted to change the subscriptions for.

(though I have no idea what that code is either)

It proves that you can receive mail at the address you gave.  Thus, it
prevents other people from signing you up on mailing lists without your
permission (assuming that no one but you can read your email).

sorry, but I feel like this is a pain in the butt

Part of the PITA is a necessary evil (and SOP), but much of it could be
improved.

-- and I live here! Well, it's at least taking a bit
of the fun out of things. And how-come when it says my conf code is "on its
way," an hour later it's still not here?

Likely an SMTP (email protocol) delivery hiccup somewhere between the server
and the ISP on the receiving end.  Normally, email is delivered within two or
three seconds.

--Todd