 Administrative / General / 5455
Re: Set search on all pages?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 05:32:50 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:
http://www.lugnet.com/quickset/
Sweet!  It does work on Netscape, but not on my preferred browser,
MSIE 5.0.  Any idea when it will?

Say, it just occurred to me while trying out the latest Mozilla (which has
this nifty Sidebar feature) that the QuickSet search could be put in a skinny
frame along the left in any browser that supports frames -- and it could even
be invoked from a local HTML file.

Sure enough, it works -- and even as I type this reply in one window, I can
go type "71xx" in the other window and I get pictures of LEGO Star Wars sets.
Here's how to try that out if you're interested -- and this'll address Bram's
original question to some extent as well:

Create a file somewhere on your local system called lugnethome.html and put
this text in it:

------8<------8<------8<------8<------cut here------8<------8<------8<------
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>LUGNET</TITLE></HEAD>
<FRAMESET COLS="220,*">
  <FRAME NAME="QuickSet_Results" SCROLLING=AUTO MARGINHEIGHT=0 MARGINWIDTH=0
   SRC="http://www.lugnet.com/quickset/search.cgi">
  <FRAME NAME="main" SCROLLING=AUTO MARGINHEIGHT=0 MARGINWIDTH=0
   SRC="http://www.lugnet.com/">
</FRAMESET>
</HTML>
------8<------8<------8<------8<------cut here------8<------8<------8<------

Then open that file up in your web browser and see how you like that.
It's not perfect, but you might find it useful.

There are at least 3 problems with this approach at the moment...but they're
not showstoppers...

1.  The LUGNET logo/home/icon button include a TARGET="_top" in one frame and
    a TARGET="_blank" in the other frame, so they probably won't do what you
    want in this case.

2.  Since the real pages are now part of an outer frame, it's kinda messy to
    cut & paste the URLs of pages.

It'd be cooler if the pages "knew" or "noticed" that they'd been included in
frames and acted more nicely.  I'd generally like there to be more robust
support for frames (always optional, of course!).

--Todd