 Administrative / General / 543
Re: CFD: rec.toys.lego feed here
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 01:13:10 GMT

sarah@eskimo.com (Perhaps a Princess...) writes:

Looking for suggestions.  Possible solutions off the top of my head are:
[...]
4.  Write a cancelbot which scans alt.toys.lego and rec.toys.lego looking for
    articles mis-cross-posted to lugnet.* groups, and cancels them as soon as
    they appear.

You can't do this. It's unethical to cancel someone else's post when
it is not spam. Even if they happen to have cross-posted to
lugnet.(something)

Heh heh, I know.  :)  I wouldn't do it; it was just there for completness.

I'd say the best option is to ignore it. If you see one cross-posted,
and you want to, send a message to the poster saying that it will
never get here. I don't WANT to encourage cross-posting between
rec.toys.lego and lugnet, frankly.

If someone is not willing to do the work to figure out how to post to
lugnet, then why are you worried about it?

Well, I guess half for the reasons you brought up last week about what's been
happening to sff.* groups, and half because of confusions that will inevitably
arise.  Maybe it's just an education/incubation period.  I'm probably over-
reacting.

Simply remind people every
once in a while that cross-posted posts don't get there. And you have
no reason to do anything more.

IMHO of course

A few weeks ago, people indicated that a read-only feed of rec.toys.lego here
would add no value to their online experience.  I agreed at the time.  But I
see 2 advantages that a read-only feed would have over no feed at all:

-  Articles crossposted to lugnet.* groups could find their way to their
  intended destination.

Why should we care though?

Well, I don't know -- the author -did- try to post the message here, right?
Shouldn't it magically show up here?  :)

--Todd