 Administrative / General / 531
Re: CFD: rec.toys.lego feed here
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 23:25:01 GMT

mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:

6. Change your server config to transparently ignore messages crossposted to
   valid lugnet groups and RTL.

Ah yes, that sounds like a very good idea.  The reason it's rejecting articles
posted to non-groups now is because people can misspell something -- and it's
better to give them an immediate error message than to silently file the
article in 'junk'.  Especially hard-to-type names like lugnet.off-topic.fun
which might come out as lugnet.off-topic-fun when typed by hand.

[...]
If I am, then one of your #5 options sounds good. Probably the one that just
automatically trolls RTL for crossposted messages.
[...]

Say, what if it had an invisible incoming & outgoing feed from/to RTL?
Messages crossposted to lugnet.* groups that -originated- in RTL would show up
here, and messages crossposted to RTL that originated here would be sent on to
RTL?  (In both cases, Message-ID's providing protection against duplicates.)

--Todd