 Administrative / General / 5386
Re: MSIE5 better but still buggy (was: Re: Why MSIE sucks for the HTML writer)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 21:29:16 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mark Koesel writes:
"Asher Kobin" <asherk@pobox.com> wrote:
[...]
Yet another totally braindead MSIE problem is multiple-select lists
with the <SELECT> tag.  If none of the <OPTION> items within a
<SELECT> have the > > >> SELECTED attribute, MSIE is its infinite
wisdom decides to auto-select the first item for you!  Wonderful.
So you have to add an empty foofoo item at the top if you're serving
pages to an MSIE browser, if you don't want
anything selected by default.  (Perhaps MS has fixed this bug by now.)

Still broken in MSIE5!  Bummer.

Correction!  Fixed in MSIE5!  (Yay!)

Why do you consider this difference in behavior between the two browsers
to be "broken" in IE5?  Obviously, I can make the reverse argument and
say it is "broken" in Nav.  Neither browser is going to change this
behaviour, it will break compatibiliy.

Hmm, yet MSIE *did* change this behavior at some point between MSIE3 and MSIE5
(which is a good thing, IMHO, even if it breaks compatibility with previous
versions, because it creates fewer new problems and workarounds).

How come I can't get IE5 to reproduce this on my machine?
Here is the page I was using to test it.  For me, it doesn't seem to select
any of the items be default.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~koesel/FormTest.htm

It doesn't for me, either.

I'm an idiot -- rather than retesting under MSIE5 with a short and simple
self-contained form, I tested under MSIE5 with the existing workaround page
without double-checking the HTML code it was producing.  It turns out that
the addition of the blank faux item at the beginning of the loop was causing
an explicit SELECTED to be added to the first <OPTION> (because "" matched
the current selection "" for the list dumper) -- something totally benign in
MSIE3, where the workaround was added for, but a bad thing in MSIE5, where
the issue is now fixed.

I've taken a momentary step backward to re-test your form (URL above) and this
form:

   http://www.lugnet.com/temp/form/msieselect.html

under MSIE3 (3.02, to be specific), just to confirm (since there is now doubt)
that it was indeed a problem with MSIE3.  Both forms -did- cause automatically
selection of the first item (in compliance with the HTML 2.0 spec).  Whew, at
least I'm not totally insane -- only partially.  :)

I'm very very very glad that Microsoft has chosen to fix this rather than to
remain backward compatible, even though it goes against the HTML 2.0 spec --
because it now works the way Netscape Navigator always did.  Way cool.

(I wonder what MSIE does if a server explicitly sets the DTD type to HTML 2.0?
:-)

--Todd