 Administrative / General / 5382
Re: MSIE5 better but still buggy (was: Re: Why MSIE sucks for the HTML writer)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:20:18 GMT

"Asher Kobin" <asherk@pobox.com> wrote in message
Doing some testing with MSIE5 under Win98 under Virtual PC under • MacOS9...
Replying to my message from last night...

[...]
Yet another totally braindead MSIE problem is multiple-select lists • with the
<SELECT> tag.  If none of the <OPTION> items within a <SELECT> have the
SELECTED attribute, MSIE is its infinite wisdom decides to auto-select • the
first item for you!  Wonderful.  So you have to add an empty foofoo • item at
the top if you're serving pages to an MSIE browser, if you don't want
anything selected by default.  (Perhaps MS has fixed this bug by now.)

Still broken in MSIE5!  Bummer.

Why do you consider this difference in behavior between the two browsers • to
be "broken" in IE5?  Obviously, I can make the reverse argument and say it
is "broken" in Nav.  Neither browser is going to change this behaviour, it
will break compatibiliy.

How come I can't get IE5 to reproduce this on my machine?
Here is the page I was using to test it.  For me, it doesn't seem to select
any
of the items be default.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~koesel/FormTest.htm