 Administrative / General / 5319
Re: Why MSIE sucks for the HTML writer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:43:38 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
I honestly can't believe you're making broad sweeping comments about
"braindead bugs" in a program that you don't even have available for
testing.  I don't use Communicator/Navigator AT ALL for my own
personal use, but I keep it installed (up to the current version - I'm
not that concerned about older versions) so I can check every now and
then to see if my teeny-tiny websites look readable with it.

Once a bug, always a bug.  That's the way it is serving HTML, until an old
release trickles off to zero.  MSIE3 is still buggy and still in use.

I titled the subject "Why MSIE sucks for the HTML *writer*" not "Why MSIE
sucks for the user".

You're running a site with thousands of users and you don't even have
the current version (or even the one behind it) of IE for Wintel
installed just to open up the pages and check them?  Wow.  And your
slamming it for bugs in old versions is more based in disappointment
than hatred?

3% of the MSIE hits on the server are from MSIE3.  The bugs are therefore
still current and still very much very suckful.

Many of the MSIE problems in 3 are also rendering issues that I would *really*
not expect MS ever to change, for backward compatibility reasons.  They'll
just always be a little different from NN, I fear.  Mozilla's rendering
engine, OTOH, totally rocks, from what I've seen.

Sounds to me like you aren't bothering to give the last two versions
of IE a chance.  Surely you have the bandwidth available to download it?

Lowest common denominominator is first priority.  Second priority is frills
in NN & Mozilla.  Last priority is frills in MSIE.

Once a bug in MSIE, always a bug, from the server's point of view, except in
cases where it makes sense to examine and branch on the MSIE version number.

Case in point:  Yahoo! still has a "Search" button on their form.  There's
probably a very real and practical reason for this.  I wish I knew what it
was.

You can get stats on which browsers hit your pages, right?  I'd be
interested in knowing how many IE 3/4/5 browsers hit you.  Not too
concerned with the Netscape side, but they'd be interesting to see.

Today:

MSIE2 -  118 -  4.1%
MSIE3 -   62 -  2.2%
MSIE4 -  831 - 29.1%