 Administrative / General / 5313
Re: Why MSIE sucks for the HTML writer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:08:19 GMT

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 22:42:11 GMT, Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com>
wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
Have you worked with a more recent version of MSIE than version 3? What
might be interesting is to put up a test page with some of those other
problems and see how many of them have been fixed.

A little bit, not a lot.  We have MSIE4.5 and MSIE3 for MacOS here, and
I can still run MSIE3 under Win32/Win95 on an old box.

IE 4.5 on the Mac almost approaches the level of non sucking.  Stay
away from Outlook Express, though.

I honestly can't believe you're making broad sweeping comments about
"braindead bugs" in a program that you don't even have available for
testing.  I don't use Communicator/Navigator AT ALL for my own
personal use, but I keep it installed (up to the current version - I'm
not that concerned about older versions) so I can check every now and
then to see if my teeny-tiny websites look readable with it.

You're running a site with thousands of users and you don't even have
the current version (or even the one behind it) of IE for Wintel
installed just to open up the pages and check them?  Wow.  And your
slamming it for bugs in old versions is more based in disappointment
than hatred?

Sounds to me like you aren't bothering to give the last two versions
of IE a chance.  Surely you have the bandwidth available to download
it?

Putting on blinders to a strong competing product seems to be a poor
strategy, at least for something which is trying to be a widely used
resource.

Lowest common demominator first, then frills.

You can get stats on which browsers hit your pages, right?  I'd be
interested in knowing how many IE 3/4/5 browsers hit you.  Not too
concerned with the Netscape side, but they'd be interesting to see.

Well, Netscape has sure had it's share of "we'll do it differently" also.

But it also defined the browser in the early days.  MS squashed that, and now
nobody defines it.  :-/

Welcome to reality.  I just got the latest version of Opera.  Here's
to hoping it sucks less than last time.

--
Tired of waiting for LEGO Direct? Bulk Parts Sales NOW!
http://www.guarded-inn.com/lego/sales/parts.html