 Administrative / General / 5241
Re: Too much FUT??? (Was re:Villager Mini-Figs)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 22:38:02 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Smallbeck wrote:

How much FUT do we want?  It seems that using FUT has become the thing to do
as soon as any fragment of a message is off-topic.  We then end up with
several threads as one continues on with the main thrust of the message
while one or more additional threads in different groups expound on the side
item.  In the past it seemed that the thread would stay in its original
location until it became completely off-topic to that group and then it was
shipped off to its proper home (usually lugnet.off-topic).

As an NNTP user it is easier to keep everything clean if the threads develop
in their original location.  Perhaps I am seeing this more than normal due
to the current increase in ADMIN posts and FUT's.

I personally don't care much about moving threads.  Half the time, when
a thread is moved, it dies out quickly.  And if it isn't moved, it
continues to grow, staying off-topic.  Half of one, six dozen of the
other.

BUT, anytime anyone ever cross-posts (ie, puts more than a single ng in
the Newsgroups header), I appreciate having the Followup-to header set
as well.  With the followup-to set, the growing thread is directed to a
single group, instead of being echoed to multiple locations.  When
Followup-to isn't set, once the thread gets going, it's hard to cut it
down to a single group.

Steve