 Administrative / General / 5237
5236  |  5238
Subject:
Too much FUT??? (Was re:Villager Mini-Figs)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:31:51 GMT

<snipped original question>

Well, if you're talking about camera/photos of your lego stuff it probably
fits best in lugnet.publish. The best way to move a thread without people
losing track of it is:

a. In 'Newsgroups' you write the new NG in *addition* to the current one
b. in 'Followup-To' you write the new NG
c. somewhere in your post you mention that followups are set to the second
group.*

Followups direct any replies to your post straight into the second NG.

How much FUT do we want?  It seems that using FUT has become the thing to do
as soon as any fragment of a message is off-topic.  We then end up with
several threads as one continues on with the main thrust of the message
while one or more additional threads in different groups expound on the side
item.  In the past it seemed that the thread would stay in its original
location until it became completely off-topic to that group and then it was
shipped off to its proper home (usually lugnet.off-topic).

As an NNTP user it is easier to keep everything clean if the threads develop
in their original location.  Perhaps I am seeing this more than normal due
to the current increase in ADMIN posts and FUT's.

This is an observation/question not a complaint about this post in
particular.  Shiri spends a lot of time helping people and explaining how
things work around here, it was just this post that made me think about this
topic.

_ _
Scott Smallbeck
scotts@contactics.com