 Administrative / General / 5068
Re: Cleaning up the main homepage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 20:35:28 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
I'd like it best if people could personalise and exchange their own
automatic bowdlerizers, and am working toward this.

I suggested self bowdlerisation earlier this week, and was shouted down.

Are we on the same page?

Yes, you suggested something involving bowdlerisation, but what you suggested
was that auctions be allowed in theme discussion groups and subsequently that
everyone reading those discussion groups be required to self-bowdlerise to
remove the unwanted noise.  (Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I heard!)

Requiring people to self-bowdlerise is very different from giving them the
voluntary option to self-bowdlerise.  It is infinitely more practical to
restrict auction noise to an auction-specific group and let people filter
out that noise as a whole, than it is to allow auction noise in regular
discussion groups and ask people to come up with countermeasures for every
conceivable measure and counter-counter-measure that auctioneers will devise.

--Todd