 Administrative / General / 495
    Email screen Case sensitive?? —Dave Ryder
    I Just had a post refused by lugnet, _after_ I had filled in the form at (URL) I frigged areound for a bit and got it to work, but it came down to the only thing I had to change was the case of my email name from "DaveR" to "daver" in my newsreader (...) (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Email screen Case sensitive?? —Matthew Miller
     (...) E-mail addresses are by convention lower case. This is because different mail hosts cope with case in different ways. By the standard described in [some RFC], they're supposed to respect it, but given all the weird operatings systems all over (...) (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Email screen Case sensitive?? —Matthew Miller
     (...) The DNS system, by the way, and as completely irrelevant aside, is supposed to respect case when possible but NOT to actually distinguish between different cases when storing data. (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Email screen Case sensitive?? —Matthew Miller
     (...) But of course people who use mixed-case in domain and hostnames are Total Lusers. (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Email screen Case sensitive?? —Todd Lehman
     (...) Well, you shouldn't really have to change anything in your newsreader -- that's the defining thing, right? What you probably want to do is re-run the /news/post/setup/ page and type it in as "DaveR" so that it matches your newsreader config. (...) (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Email screen Case sensitive?? —Dave Ryder
    Thanks for your input Todd, Matthew, - I stand informed & corrected. I must admit to not realising that the standard for email names was all lower-case, I tend to capitalise things from force of habit, comes I think from spending eight years (...) (26 years ago, 26-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)