 Administrative / General / 496
Re: Email screen Case sensitive??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 23:19:35 GMT

daver@ansuz.NOSPAM.demon.co.uk (Dave Ryder) writes:

I Just had a post refused by lugnet, _after_ I had filled in the form at
http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/setup/ I frigged areound for a bit and got it
to work, but it came down to the only thing I had to change was the case of my
email name from "DaveR" to "daver" in my newsreader to match what I had typed
on lugnet.

Well, you shouldn't really have to change anything in your newsreader --
that's the defining thing, right?  What you probably want to do is re-run
the /news/post/setup/ page and type it in as "DaveR" so that it matches your
newsreader config.

Have others experienced this?

One other person has reported a similar problem so far.  It's possible more
people ran into it and didn't mention it.

is it usual that email names are case-sensitive??

I don't know if it's usual or not, because I've never heard of a server
doing From-line validation before.  But in any case, it's case-sensitive
here.  To quote what it says on the setup page,

  "Your news-posting identity is what you use when you post news messages.
   If you use use a newsreader program (for example, Netscape's Messenger,
   Forté's Agent or Free Agent, MicroPlanet's Gravity, or Microsoft's
   Outlook Express), the information you provide below must -exactly- match
   your newsreader's profile."
  "Again, if you use a newsreader, the information below must exactly match
   your newsreader's profile — or else the server won't be able to recognize
   you or accept messages from you."

I'll add a sentence there that clarifies the case-sensitivity.  The main
reason it's case sensitive is for easier indexing.  The secondary reason is
in order to discourage on-the-fly transformations like

   John Gorblefrubbitz

into

   jOhN gOrBlEfRuBbItZ

which, at some point, I'm sure would get in the way somewhere of some
indexing mechanism.

--Todd