 Administrative / General / 4716
Re: "Yisra`el" vs. "Israel"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.loc.il
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 02:33:17 GMT

Dan, I'm assuming below that you meant lugnet.loc.il, because there is no
group lugnet.local.yisrael...

errr... yes, sorry :)

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:
umm.... is there a reason why Israel is misspelled?

On the entry page <http://www.lugnet.com/loc/il/> for lugnet.loc.il, it shows

  lugnet.loc.il- Yisra`el (Israel)

My world atlas showed "Yisra`el" as the correct ISO-8859-1 local name (not
"Israel") -- just as "Españá" is the local name for "Spain" and "Nippon" is
the local name for "Japan", etc.  Is "Yisra`el" incorrect?

well, you would never find it spelled like that in Israel, and rarly it would
even be pronounced like that.  Most cases (except people that take care to
pronounce things exactly like they're supposed to be) it would be pronounced as
"Israel" and not "Yisrael"

I was looking for it to join, and missed it - it never occured to me to
look for it under "Y".  any chance it could be corrected?

Hmm, maybe as opposed to listing the English version of the name only, it
would be most helpful to list certain countries (such as .il, .es, .jp, etc.)
both ways.  Listing .mx both ways, of course, probably doesn't make much
sense because the two forms only differ in an accept symbol.

true, true.

:)

Dan