 Administrative / General / 4714
Re: "Yisra`el" vs. "Israel"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.loc.il
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:47:55 GMT

Dan, I'm assuming below that you meant lugnet.loc.il, because there is no
group lugnet.local.yisrael...

Yeah, that's what he meant :P

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:
umm.... is there a reason why Israel is misspelled?

On the entry page <http://www.lugnet.com/loc/il/> for lugnet.loc.il, it shows

  lugnet.loc.il- Yisra`el (Israel)

My world atlas showed "Yisra`el" as the correct ISO-8859-1 local name (not
"Israel") -- just as "Espa&#241;&#225;" is the local name for "Spain" and "Nippon" is
the local name for "Japan", etc.  Is "Yisra`el" incorrect?

It's not that it's incorrect. That _is_ how Israelis say the name of the
country - in Hebrew. However, we never write it like that in English. The
common and acceptable English spelling is Israel. This is different then the
Spain case (not the Japanese) because Spanish uses the same characters, so
Spanish natives might search for Espana (don't have the tildes and stuff,
sorry) instead of Spain. If you had Yisra`el written in hebrew letters, it
would probably occur to Dan to find it that way. Not in English though.

I hope you see my point - the Spain example isn't parallel to Israel's case. I
don't know much about Japanese so I can't relate. However, I too suggest you
change Yisra`el to Israel, or at least add an 'Israel' link on the Local page.

I was looking for it to join, and missed it - it never occured to me to
look for it under "Y".  any chance it could be corrected?

Hmm, maybe as opposed to listing the English version of the name only, it
would be most helpful to list certain countries (such as .il, .es, .jp, etc.)
both ways.

I agree.

Listing .mx both ways, of course, probably doesn't make much
sense because the two forms only differ in an accept symbol.

Right :)

-Shiri