 Administrative / General / 4686
Re: Is a FUT .market.auction okay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.council
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:21:17 GMT

Adam Hoekwater wrote:

Hello Todd, thanks again for LUGNet. One question:
If someone posts to market.buy-sell-trade or market.shopping inquiring about
where to get a certain set for a certain price, is it okay to reply to that
posting with an auction reference, if I change the newsgroup to
market.auction? Just thought I'd check, what with all the biting and the
kicking and hurting and vloyven...

I would tend to think that if they're looking for an item at a certain
price, they will not be terribly interested in an auction. If you're
running a private auction (automated or not), I would contact the
interested party and indicate that you are running such an auction, and
would be willing to insert a bid for them, and if they aren't interested
in all the updates, just let them know at the end if they got the item
or not. Of course they may not want that because once they've submitted
a bid, they can't retract if they find the item for straight sale sooner
than the close of the auction.

This is one of those hairy borderline cases. I'm inclined to think that
given the general feeling about auctions, we want to discourage posting
auction references in these cases. Send an e-mail to the interested
party. Another possibility would be to just point out, "Hey this item
has been offered recently in lugnet.market.auction, go take a look there
if interested." (But don't point to a specific posting.)

follow-ups to lugnet.admin.council

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com