 Administrative / General / 4441
Re: Pre Auction Anouncment/Sale/Trade - Parts & Sets (8448 / 7171 / Pirates)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 21:04:33 GMT

Scott-A wrote in message ...

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
If it happens again, I'll give $10 to charity in the name : "Timmy"

Hmm, is that meant to be humorous or flippant?

Just a gesture. I really do think this thing has gotten a little out of
proportion. The fact that almost nobody appears to have bothered about my
post, and that I'm now getting sympathy e-mails, is beginning to trouble me
a little. I think others have already said that each of my offences were
relatively minor, and the most recent one is not comparable to those before
it. I have/had no intentions of posting auction posts a BST in the
future/past.  In summation:
1. Friday's post was poorly worded.
2. I do no intend to break any trade rules in the future.
3. If I ever do, even by mistake, I'll pay $10 to charity.

What else can I say?

Ok, after reading everything, I'm ready to comment here...

Scott, I have not done all the hard work for you. While I agree that this
has gotten out of hand, I also question whether you really understand why
this issue has blown up. Todd has asked you to come up with an appropriate
sanction should you goof again in the future. This is not a flippant
request, it is a brilliant and respectful way for him to ask you to
demonstrate that you understand the situation.

You have also asked where all the uproar is. Consider the possibility that
most people who are annoyed haven't made a noise because they realize Todd
will deal with the problem (which is what we should strive to do, why add
insult to injury by complaining in public about an infraction [yes, I have
done so once or twice myself]), or have sent e-mail to Todd. In addition,
many of the people who are annoyed probably aren't reading this thread.

I personally don't think your primary intention in this latest post was to
announce your upcoming auction, I do think that the primary purpose was to
give people (especially those who might hate auctions) a chance to make an
offer on the items before you put them on the block. The problem is that
your wording was very lazy, and not very clear. It came off looking like an
auction announcement. You seem to be advocating a "so what, so I'm a little
lazy sometimes." attitude. This is what is burning people up. I am willing
to cut people a little slack, but if they demand that slack, I'm more
resistant to doing so.

I would also point out that Todd has roasted other people for being lazy.
Larry got roasted for the way he brought up his plan to auction off his
custom hopper set. I got mildly roasted (in private) when I posted some HTML
code (and admitted in my post that I was being lazy). My reaction to that
roasting was to get off my duff and find out how to get access to the web
space with my ISP, and do an extensive re-formatting of my links pages and
put them up, so that now I can be lazy, and when people ask if anyone knows
of pages which discuss remote control turnouts/points for trains, I can
point them to:

http://www.mindspring.com/~ffilz/Lego/town-and-train.html

and tell them to look for the section on AUTOMATION AND ELECTRONICS.

So please, come up with a serious response to Todd's request, and then take
the time to think about what you want to say in the future, and then you
won't have to worry about taking the heat.

Frank