 Administrative / General / 4403
Re: Pre Auction Anouncment/Sale/Trade - Parts & Sets (8448 / 7171 / Pirates)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 01:20:34 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
I'm a little troubled by all this. I have explained my actions. There
appears to be little opinion that my post was a "blatant" breaking of the
rules. The post was a pre-auction announcement & a (successful) solicitation
for straight sale before the auction started.... any other interoperation
was not intentional on my  part. Whilst I admit my post could have been a
little clearer to readers, I can still see nothing wrong with my intentions.
Even if the post was a "blatant" pre-auction announcement.... there would be
very little to be gained by me.

Right then.  I'll retract the word "blatant."  Thanks for providing your other
example of a pre-auction solicitation for straight-sale items which wasn't a
problem -- it helps show much better what your intentions were.

If crossposting is not desired between these groups, why not prohibit it.

Because it's not always not desired.  And because prohibiting crossposting
between the groups may in fact worsen the problem as people will be likely
then simply to post a message twice, uncrossposted, to get around it.

I'd appreciate it if you could take my protestations at face value and lift
what ever bans you have put in place.

The filter which limits you from posting to .market.buy-sell-trade isn't
there because of perceived intentions, it's there because of repeatedly
demonstrated actions.

If the filter is lifted once again, what do you think would be a fair and
reasonable consequence later down the road, should you happen to become lazy
(your word) or forgetful a fourth time and happen to post yet another auction
announcement in .b-s-t?  What would be an effective deterrent to that?

--Todd