 Administrative / General / 422
    read/not read quirk on web interface? —Larry Pieniazek
   Am I seeing things, or is this behaviour what's happening? Suppose I have read some, but not all of the messages in a group. Suppose further that some of those messages are posted to multiple groups, and that some of them I read while in another (...) (26 years ago, 18-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: read/not read quirk on web interface? —Todd Lehman
   (...) This is correct. The group listing ignores cross-posting x-refs. So if something is crossposted, it'll show up as two different articles in the web interface. But the thread view -is- smart enough to see cross-posting and only lists the (...) (26 years ago, 18-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: read/not read quirk on web interface? —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) Pardon my news ignorance, but that means that the article only exists once, right? Do articles exist independently of groups, and just have tagging associated that puts them into a group at a particular number, or do they live in one group (...) (26 years ago, 18-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: read/not read quirk on web interface? —Todd Lehman
   (...) Articles actually exist in multiple groups and in actual multiple files on the filesystem, but with filesystem hard-links linking them together so that they don't take up extra space on the fileserver, except for a tiny inode. The Xref header (...) (26 years ago, 18-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)