 Administrative / General / 427
Re: read/not read quirk on web interface?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 17:43:12 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpien@ctp.com> writes:

Am I seeing things, or is this behaviour what's happening?

Suppose I have read some, but not all of the messages in a group. Suppose
further that some of those messages are posted to multiple groups, and that
some of them I read while in another group.

Now consider the group message list, and the thread/tree view while in a
message.

I believe the following to be true:
A message I never read at all shows blue (unread) in both views
A message I read while in this group shows purple (read) in both views
A message I read in another group but not here shows blue in the list but
purple in the tree view.

This is correct.

The group listing ignores cross-posting x-refs.  So if something is
crossposted, it'll show up as two different articles in the web interface.

But the thread view -is- smart enough to see cross-posting and only lists
the primary article in a set of cross-posted articles.

The group listing -could- (and arguably should) be made to give a link to
the main article when something is crossposted.  That is, if something is
crossposted to

   Newsgroups: lugnet.foo,lugnet.bar

and shows up as

   lugnet.foo:73
   lugnet.bar:129

then when browing the lugnet.bar group, instead of linking to

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.bar:129

it really ought to link to

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.foo:73

To do this, the group listing will have to fetch the Xref: header from the
article.  Luckily, it will only have to do this if it's a crossposted
article, and that value (boolean) is readily obtainable from the '.overview'
file, which is already being slurped by that code.

--Todd

Therefore, the tree view is more useful if what I care about is which messages
I have actually read.

This behaviour, if true, is an artifact of the web, not an error in coding. Or,
I could be seeing things.

Note carefully that there is no request for action attached to this post. :-)