 Administrative / General / 433
Re: read/not read quirk on web interface?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 21:21:31 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpien@ctp.com> writes:

Todd Lehman writes:

The group listing ignores cross-posting x-refs.  So if something is
crossposted, it'll show up as two different articles in the web interface.

But the thread view -is- smart enough to see cross-posting and only lists
the primary article in a set of cross-posted articles.

Pardon my news ignorance, but that means that the article only exists once,
right? Do articles exist independently of groups, and just have tagging
associated that puts them into a group at a particular number, or do they live
in one group with links to all the other ones they are cross posted? If so,
which one? First one mentioned?  If so, what if some shadowing server doesn't
carry that group? (not a problem here since there are no shadowing servers, and
when there are I assume they will carry everything)

This is an idle curiousity question rather than a pressing need. Reading the
appropriate RFC probably would get the answer but I'm lazy and I bet you know.
(and I'd lay even odds you answer "RTF-RFC" ... :-)  )

Articles actually exist in multiple groups and in actual multiple files on
the filesystem, but with filesystem hard-links linking them together so that
they don't take up extra space on the fileserver, except for a tiny inode.

The Xref header also links them together logically.

--Todd