 Administrative / General / 419
Re: typo quiz
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 12:39:59 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpien@ctp.com> writes:

To bring this back to admin.general topicality, I've already asked that the web
interface allow me to set a cookie for a standard signature so I can save
typing it. It's not doing it yet, but give it time.

The unfortunate thing about arbitrary amounts of text in cookies is that
they get transferred every time a mouse click is made to the server, which
gobbles up bandwidth when multiplied out over time and users.

But one thing we might be able to do is put the posting mechansism down into
a lower-level directory, and have the sig cookie be specific to that
directory, so it would only get sent rarely -- when posting.

Of course the ultimate solution lies in storing simply a userid and password
in a single server-wide cookie. (later)

--Todd