 Administrative / General / 386
Re: weird return after post
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 22:34:01 GMT

Todd Lehman writes:

Thanks for reporting this.  Now for some followup questions:

I found your article in the dead.article file here, so I can see at least
part of the problem.  Here's the header (indented):

  Newsgroups: toomanyLEGOS?
  Subject: Re: in-box storage?
  From: "Larry Pieniazek" <lpien@ctp.com>

So somehow it got addressed to the nonce newsgroup 'toomanyLEGOS?'

Looking at the References line, you appear to have been replying to this
article:

  http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.storage:56

Yes, I was replying to that article.

I take it you accidentally typed 'toomanyLEGOS?' into the Newsgroups box?
(Or did it on purpose to see what would happen?  :-)

I know I didn't do it on purpose and am not sure how I could have done it
accidentally. Maybe. But I REALLY doubt it. This is fairly weird. See, I don't
think you can have more LEGO(tm) than you need, so I would never even SAY the
phrase in question.

There's no verification in the web interface (yet) on either the Newsgroups
or the Followup-To field.  So (currently) if the ng names are messed with on
purpose or entered wrong accidentally, then the article goes into the
dead.article file and never shows up.  Which I think is what happened here.

Seems that way. I'd say that verifying valid groups for NG and FU-T(1) would be
a good thing. As it is, I've lost this article irretrievably (unlike in
Netscape newsreader which saves posts in your sent file) and can't repost it.
While it was not necessarily one of my best articles, :-) it probably would be
a Good Thing to redisplay the article to me, or to allow me to access articles
that are in the deal articles file and are by me...

<pontificate>
Lesson 2 at Frank's knee, lo these many years ago, in IBM: "if you can't
PREVENT the user from making an error, make it easy for the user to recover
from it"
</pontificate>

Now, as it turns out, I just went to my other window and pressed Back a
bazillion times and lucked out. It's still there. And sure enough, the
newsgroups entry box does INDEED have "toomanyLEGOS?" in it! Not from me,
though. Reposted.

There -is- code in one place which removes non-alphanumeric characters from
strings, but that code doesn't capitalize words.  So fess up.  :)

Sorry, I have plausible denyability on this one.

1 - Followup-To, no matter what you think it might expand to

++Lar