 Administrative / General / 385
Re: weird return after post
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 23:24:48 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpien@ctp.com> writes:

While posting to lugnet.storage, I got a weird "return to" page... the return
to point is not a valid URL

The URL no doubt is useless (since dynamically generated), but here it is.
http://www.lugnet.com/news/post.cgi
Here's what the page said:

Thanks for reporting this.  Now for some followup questions:

I found your article in the dead.article file here, so I can see at least
part of the problem.  Here's the header (indented):

   Newsgroups: toomanyLEGOS?
   Subject: Re: in-box storage?
   From: "Larry Pieniazek" <lpien@ctp.com>

So somehow it got addressed to the nonce newsgroup 'toomanyLEGOS?'

Looking at the References line, you appear to have been replying to this
article:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.storage:56

(is that correct?)

I take it you accidentally typed 'toomanyLEGOS?' into the Newsgroups box?
(Or did it on purpose to see what would happen?  :-)

There's no verification in the web interface (yet) on either the Newsgroups
or the Followup-To field.  So (currently) if the ng names are messed with on
purpose or entered wrong accidentally, then the article goes into the
dead.article file and never shows up.  Which I think is what happened here.

There's no code in use on the server which would have extracted

   'too many' legos."?)

and munged this into

   toomanyLEGOS?

There -is- code in one place which removes non-alphanumeric characters from
strings, but that code doesn't capitalize words.  So fess up.  :)

--Todd