 Administrative / General / 3679
Re: Suggestion/Request for proposal consideration
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 13:32:35 GMT

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 00:56:56 GMT, "Michael Hader"
<mhader@hubcap.clemson.edu> wrote:

You should try:

http://www.lugnet.com/poweruser.cgi

It puts a search bar that stays on the top of the screen..unfortuanately it
uses frames, which causes problems when you go to offsite links.  My biggest
problem with it is that I like to see the URL's and this doesn't allow you to
do that.

I like it..

How about a bit of script that puts the URL of the other frame in the
top frame, sort of as a replacement Location: bar?

I'm fairly sure this could be done without too much trouble (though
I'm not _entirely sure, as I don't like framesand avoid 'emlike the
plague if I can).

Or how about a format for URLs like
http://www.lugnet.com/poweruser.cgi?http%xx%xy%xywww.lugnet.com%xydear-lego

Not sure if I got all the chars that have to be escaped, but you get
my drift.

The cgi script would get the data at the URL mentioned, add the
powerbar at the top (no frames!), and possibly a mention of what the
URL is in plain english (or just a link to the non-power-user-version,
called "plain" or something like that).

This gets rid of the Evil frames, and thus allows you to both bookmark
specific pages, and transmit real URLs to others.

How about it Todd? Any chance of something like that when you have
some free time (say, like, Spring 2000? I know you're rather busy...)?

Jasper