 Administrative / General / 3459
Re: Cats and pigeons...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 18:40:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Joslin writes:
He did that, yes.  But I think he also posted a list of sets and set
numbers, didn't he?  Those are quite different things, I think.

Having missed the original post, I was unaware that he posted a list of
set names and numbers.  I stand duly corrected.  See what happens when
you cancel posts?  You sow confusion! :D

For the record (or for anyone just tuning in now), I didn't exactly cancel
Huw's post.  Huw cancelled it on his own volition.  At least, he tried to,
but his newsreader reported a technical problem, so he asked me to
cancel it for him, with clear conditional instructions.  More details:
<http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=3401>

(Eric, I know (at least I assume) that you meant an implied "ya" or "one"
when you said "you," so I'm just addressing the above for technical,
pedantic, and legal reasons.  I just want it to be clear that Huw's post
wasn't forcibly and arbitrarily removed.)

[...]
But think about it this way:  Let's say Huw had taken those scans (we'll
ignore the set listings he posted on LUGNET for a moment) and set up a
GeoCities site anonymously to host them.  he does it up real good so that
it looks like it has nothing to do with himself.  Then he comes to LUGNET
and says "hey, a friend of mine noticed this site and pointed it out to me,
it has scans from the 1999 retailers catalogue, check it out" and provided
a URL.  Functionally, he's doing the same thing (actually, he's being a
bit shadier with the anonymous website bit) and yet somehow I doubt anyone
would have said anything about how it was wrong, we would have all just
looked at the sets and commented on them and moved on.

Oho, something would've been said, trust me.  This was three bad things all
at once:  (1) an announcement of unannounced products, (2) a list of
unannounced products posted to a lugnet group, (3) scans of unannounced
products posted to an AFOL site.  Now, had the same been posted to RTL, and
had Suzanne seen it, she'd've posted the same thing there too.  And she'd
probably post the same thing anywhere.  That's how strongly she feels about
it.

And certainly not without good reason.  Trust me, I will give up any amount
of advanced super-secret bleeding edge knowledge if it means having an open
channel to TLC like Lego Direct.  I think it might have been a bit easier
to understand if we had known that was coming, however (and I think we all
know it wasn't a total shocker to the LUGNET admins ;D ).
[...]

I can't say it was a total shocker, because I've always been cocksure that
this day would someday arrive (that's the everlasting crazy optimist in me,
and doing everything I can to keep that optimism alive).  But the only notice
I had of Brad's arrival was Buffie's message yesterday and of course Brad's
filling out of the news-posting-setup form sometime between a year ago and
yesterday, which of course raised an eyebrow.

--Todd