 Administrative / General / 3385
Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 08:55:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.general, "Tom Stangl, VFAQman" <talonts@vfaq.com> writes:
Personally, I'll have to agree with Onyx here - no matter how sugar-coated
it was, Todd and Suz's posts come across to ME (as in they seemed to ME
like) as bullying Huw into taking them down, and that bothers the HELL out
of me, as I normally see eye-to-eye with Todd.

Yikes.  Wow.  Well, I'm going to have to tone down my opinions then, if it
came across that way.  More disclaimers needed, or something.

Persuade through logical argument, yes.  Bully, no.  (I'm speaking for
myself here.) • <snipped the rapidly-becoming-irrelevant catalogue stuff>
If that sounds like bullying to anyone, then, man, people are paranoid.  Or
else people are taking my and Suzanne's attitudes too seriously.  We're just
fans like everyone else -- maybe a little more crazy and "into it" than most
-- but our opinions shouldn't count any more than anyone else's where
off-site information is concerned.  On LUGNET, that's a different story, but
that's not what we're talking about.  Now if you actually think we were
bullying Huw, and if you think that's bad (I would), then by all means flame
us to a crisp -- don't hold back!

(No flames here, just some wandering thoughts...)

I don't think that it's that simple.  It's fairly obvious from the posts that
there is a perception of your and Suzanne's words having greater weight than
you are giving them.  As is so often the case with this sort of thing,
perception=actuality.

Whether you like it or not, and regardless how many huge blinking neon
disclaimers you have, people will pay more attention to what you say than they
will to what others (me, for example) say.  Your names are closely linked with
Lugnet, and because of that (and other reasons, probably), people naturally
assume that you are speaking with authority when you speak.  Me, I'm just a
random fan.

You already know about this, and (I suspect) it's the reason you tend to avoid
the "posting in the wrong place" threads when you can.

I don't think it's something you can really do anything about, any more than,
say Bill Gates can.  If Gates says something about computers, the faceless mob
will tend to take it at more than face value becuase he's the president of
Microsoft, and presumably Knows These Things.  In the same way (albeit less
grandiose) when you say things we take it at more than face value because
you're the admin of Lugnet - even when you aren't acting in an offical
capacity.

I'm not criticizing, or trying to convice you to post less or anything (it's
late, and I'm probably waxing incoherent), but it is something to be aware of.
If you say something is probably not a good idea, others are going to assume
that means it isn't - even if you're just talking as a random fan.  Sorry Todd
(& Suzanne), you qualify as expert opinions in the field of Lego fandom.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.come/lego/

[followups to lugnet.debate -- getting pretty off-topic here -- and there
are too many issues & sub-issues & sub-sub-issues]
[cross-posted back into admin.general - because it's relevant to how Lugnet is
run and how it's administrators are perceived]