 Off-Topic / Debate / 2654
Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 09:20:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
[...]
Whether you like it or not, and regardless how many huge blinking neon
disclaimers you have, people will pay more attention to what you say than
they will to what others (me, for example) say.  Your names are closely
linked with Lugnet, and because of that (and other reasons, probably),
people naturally assume that you are speaking with authority when you
speak.  Me, I'm just a random fan.

You already know about this, and (I suspect) it's the reason you tend to
avoid the "posting in the wrong place" threads when you can.

I guess it never really sunk in.  I always used to talk exactly like this
(strongly asserted opinions) on RTL too, so from my internalized point of
view, not much has changed.  But I guess some things have.

Hmmmmm.

[...]
I'm not criticizing, or trying to convice you to post less or anything
(it's late, and I'm probably waxing incoherent), but it is something to
be aware of.  If you say something is probably not a good idea, others are
going to assume that means it isn't - even if you're just talking as a
random fan.  Sorry Todd (& Suzanne), you qualify as expert opinions in the
field of Lego fandom

You're probably right.  That would totally explain things now.  Thanks for
your insights.

The funny thing is, yes, we are about as 'expert opinions' on this sort of
thing (how TLC views fans, etc.) as you could get, if that doesn't sound
conceited, without getting into the gory details, but with regard to the
authority comment, I'm confused:  in my mind, the only authority we have with
regard to this sort of thing is an authority of knowledge -- not any kind of
administrative authority or bully-authority.

If we say we think something is a bad idea, then yeah, you it's a pretty good
bet that it's probably a bad idea.  And we'll probably try to make a case
through logical argument and/or relevant bits of info if people disagree, but
anyone is free to debate the issue, disagree, ask questions, etc. and
ultimately even do as they please so long as they don't break any laws or
rules of conduct here.

If Huw took down his scans because he stopped and thought about the issues
for a while and concluded that it was risky to have scans of that type up,
then great, that makes me feel good[1] because I've possibly helped him avoid
getting himself or us as a whole "in trouble."  But if Huw took down his
scans because he felt bullied into it, then that it makes me feel terrible,
because that's the wrong reason to do something like that.

Anyway, thanks again for your insights...must cogitate on this...

--Todd