 Administrative / General / 3143
3142  |  3144
Subject:
creeping marketting...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 18:49:37 GMT

A thought I just had, which may merrit some thought, and may be best
dumped in the refuse bin.

How about having a volunteer for each theme group post a once a day (at
most) post to the theme groups giving references to all the market posts
with stuff interesting to the theme. Something like (wild example out of
thin air for train):

Larry has too many 4558 Metroliners and is selling them first come first
serve for $10 each in this post:
http://www.lugnet.com/lugnet/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=0

Sproaticus has 40 red train windows without glass on eBay here:
http://www.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=0

Busy Bee just found a shipload of old sets including the whole line of
12v trains. Check out this post:
http://www.lugnet.com/lugnet/market/shopping/?n=0 or call +00
(0)000-000-0000

Steve Barile is starting to collect Scala, he is willing to trade train
stuff for Scala, check out this post:
http://www.lugnet.com/lugnet/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=0

This would result in a very low traffic, but usefull traffic. Of course
some stuff will be missed. Tough, send the volunteer and e-mail, and it
will go into the next day's post (if the item is gone within a day, you
didn't need the extra exposure).

Anything more than this I think really should not be in the non-market
groups. I'm not even sure the train parts consortium stuff really
belonged out of market, but who knows.

On a different note. I've been watching and thinking about the market
groups and I wonder if a different division might be in order:

lugnet.market.shopping: pointers to stores, real or online, which have
neat stuff or good sales. Criteria is that there is a decent quantity of
the item(s) for a fixed price.

lugnet.market.online-auction: pointers to eBay and other online auction
sites. Possibly with sub-groups for each site. I could just about skip
the eBay ones, though I have been pointed to auctions I missed.

lugnet.market.auction-updates: auctions being conducted by e-mail with
updates posted to lugnet. Users would be requested to keep their auction
updates threaded.

lugnet.market.announce: announcements of auctions, sales, trades, etc.
Only a single announcement is allowed per item (ok, maybe you can
re-list after a week, or daily if you have a huge list and you post
updates as the items go, updates should be threaded).

Probably unworkable but I just thought I'd put the idea on the table.
Feel free to sweep it into the garbage.

--

Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com