 Administrative / General / 2977
Re: REGARDING A MESSAGE A FEW DAYS AGO.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 15:11:34 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:
But most importantly, if you want to be a part of the LUGnet community,
posting in all-caps isn't going to make you any friends. Whether you think
so or not, it definitely one of two things: either rude, or the behavior of
a clueless newbie from AOL. I don't think that you want to be either of
those!

Matt is generally right, including here, and I mostly agree. One thing
to point out, though. And it's tripped me up before, too. Some people
have very good reasons for typing either in all caps or all lower
case... people who, for reasons of disability, don't get to type with
both hands, or even in some cases, with ONE hand. Perhaps they have to
type with a mouth stick, or have to spell out letters with eye blinks or
shout STOP when the scanner gets to the right letter.

This is rare, and John Morgan no doubt is NOT one of those people, but
it's important to remember that sometimes there ARE good reasons for
using all caps.

Just thought I'd point it out.

Yup, and I know (knew) someone who uses all caps.  But she also had the
courtesy to preface all her messages with a brief explanation.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/