 Administrative / General / 2760
Re: group suggestion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:15:20 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Steve Bliss writes:
Once upon a time, Kevin Loch <kloch@NOSPMkl.net> wrote:
Steve Bliss wrote:
Once upon a time, Kevin Loch <kloch@NOSPMkl.net> wrote:

How about lugnet.scans.d or lugnet.kl ?

That way I could post messages about updates to the
scan site.

Because people would think it is a good place to post scans?  No,
wait, Todd's blocked most binaries.

How about lugnet.club.scan?

no no no.  I never suggested that it would be a place to
post scans.  The idea is that people could request scans
and I could post a list of recent additions to the site.

Steve/Kevin,

I'd forgotten all about this!  (The messages above are from 11 months ago,
and in the meantime, Kevin has been using the .publish group as the next
best thing.)  Since the ng hierarchy has stablized much more now since last
October and Kevin has just moved his scan to brand new LEGO-related domain
name (brickshelf.com), this seems like a great time to go ahead and make the
group.

If it were a group where Kevin could post notifications about updates to
his scans site, then it would fit in very nicely in the .announce hierarchy
as something like

   .announce.scans
or
   .announce.brickshelf

Or, if, as Kevin suggested in a followup, it were a more interactive place
where people could request scans and also where Kevin could post a list of
recent additions, then it would fit in very nicely in the .db hierarchy as

   .db.scans

Or, we could even create *both* a .db.scans group (for everyone) and an
.announce.scans or .announce.brickshelf (for Kevin, and readers), whereby
Kevin could do this in his postings:

   Newsgroups: lugnet.announce.brickshelf,lugnet.db.scans

and people who wanted to hear only about updates could subscribe to the
.announce group and ignore the .db group.

--Todd

I didn't say you had suggested it, I said people would *think* it.

Anyway, as I had pointed out, Todd's blocked most binaries, so
mis-guided individuals could *try* to post as many scans as they like.
It wouldn't work.