 Administrative / General / 2758
Re: sets4sale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 15:31:31 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "Steve DeCraemer" <cowinacan@earthlink.net> writes:

Hey, as far as I'm concerned we can merge the two.

Auctions have a separate group from buy/sell/trade (a.k.a. trading post)
stuff for at least two main reasons:

1)  Auctions are relatively noisy in the number of postings and sometimes
    also in the raw bandwidth.

2)  No one ever has moral objections to regular classified ads (FS, WTB,
    WTT, etc.) but people do from time to time show up who have moral
    objections to auctions and are extremely off-put by them.  I don't agree
    with that viewpoint, but I certainly respect it.  I know several people
    who left RTL long ago who were, among other things, very sick of seeing
    auctions and watching the hobby slowly degrade (in their eyes) into a
    collector's market.  This is why auctions are separated, and it's also
    why there is a .build group which doesn't focus on themes or collecting
    but instead on good old-fashioned values like building and creativity.

I for one hardly ever look at the auction listings because so many postings
are just refrences to e-bay for which I'm not a fan.

That's actually a data point which illustrates the usefulness of keeping
auctions *separated* from trades/sales -- it's not a data point consistent
with merging the two.

--Todd