 Administrative / General / 271
Re: CFD: lugnet.test
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 11:48:04 GMT

Op een zekere dag, te weten Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:06:32 GMT, klom
lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) in het toetsenbord en schreef ons:

Informal call for dicussion...
Talking about modesty. Hey Todd, you can do what you want with your own
Newsserver! We all have to be eternally thankful you stick so much of your
time in it......

lugnet.test
===========

Posts of the type "this is just a test" seem to be on the increase.  It's been
suggested before -- should a lugnet.test newsgroup be created?

*  If it did exist, would newbies understand that they should use IT and NOT
  other groups for testing out their browser?
That doesn't work. My ISP has a series of newsgroups (including complete (!)
binaries, at new.telekabel.at), and there came also a test ng. There are
still people testing everywhere. Only the people who are already a bit
familiar with Usenet use the telekabel.test, to test out new versions or
setups....

*  Would/should newbies get flamed for posting test messages in non-test
  groups?
Probably. We don't react anymore, except for one posting '->telekabel.test'

*  If it did exist, would people [incorrectly] use it for non-test messages?
  Or would people have the common sense not to do that?
There are always people reacting to test-postings, we had some discussions
even, when someone tried to get outlook working, and it came to a M$<->Agent
discussion...

*  Should follow-ups automatically be force-set to the special value 'poster'?
I don't understand what you mean with that. Do you set the foillow-ups
automatically to the poster, so he/she gets al the answers over mail?

Ardjan