 Administrative / General / 2512
2511  |  2513
Subject:
newsgroup setup question (for Todd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 17:39:54 GMT

Todd,
I am trying to improve how I access the Lugnet newsgroups.  I'm not happy with
how I read things now, but I'm not sure if what I want is possible.  (If it is,
I'd love to be enlightened.  If not, I'll grumble and find another way.)

There are several newsgroups that I would like to follow.  Right now, I see
three ways to do this:

1) Set up my newsgroup reader (pine) for Lugnet, and subscribe to all the
newsgroups.  I don't like this for two reasons.  First, pine is one of those
programs that thinks every newsgroup is available on every server - i.e. it
messes with the rec.toys.lego setup.  Second, I don't like having to open each
group, check it for new messages, and perhaps add groups as threads jump
around.

2) Subscribe to all the groups by email.  I do this now for a few smaller
groups that I would like to keep track of - lugnet.announce.lsahs for instance.
I could subscribe to all the major groups this way, and I would get everything
I wanted.  I don't like this for one reason: I don't want my _personal_ inbox
filling (overflowing?) with lugnet messages, especially since my email program
(pine) does support newsgroups (albeit in a crippled way).

3) Browse the newsgroups from the website.  This is especially good, because
you now have all the messages from all the newsgroups all clumped together from
Lugnet's main page.  I like having them all together like that.  (I would
rather delete messages that I don't want to read, rather than miss something I
would by not seeing the group it's in.)  I don't like this for one reason: I
don't like to have to read from the web.  I read the newsgroups from several
(up to 10) different machines a week, and it is very difficult to keep track of
threads in this way.  Hence pine for email and newsgroups (pine is on a campus
unix server).

My question is this: Is it possible (or could you easily make it possible) for
me to subscribe to one lugnet.* newsgroup that would include all of Lugnet's
news postings all clumped together?  This would bypass virtually all the
problems in the above three methods:
1) I wouldn't have to check 50 groups, or worry about a thread moving into a
newsgroup I don't subscribe to.
2) My inbox wouldn't be bombarded with messages.
3) I wouldn't have to use a web-based news client.  I would get all the
messages as they appear on Lugnet's homepage, but I could read them from
anywhere while easily keeping read messages deleted.

Please let me know if this is possible.  If not, I can continue to read as I
do, and (unfortunately) keep missing so much stuff of interest to me.

Much thanks,
Naji