 Administrative / General / 2376
Re: Please help keep Tony K on LUGNET...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 04:04:01 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message <37a8e604.287243072@lugnet.com>...
In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:
Tony Kilaras wrote:
You chose the wrong tactic for this one buddy. If you e-mailed me about
it, even though I disagree about censorhsip, I would have gladly done
you the favor since this is your place.

Tony,

I don't understand.  Could you explain to me why you should have been
e-mailed about it?  Do you mean to say that you weren't aware that you
weren't supposed to talk with a potty mouth here?

No.

Or do you not consider
"holy sh**" to be potty language?

I suppose it could be construed as such by most people, yes.

If it's the latter case, then I apologize for coming on so strong.  I came
on strong because I assumed that you were either trying to see how much you
could get away with,

No. Why would I do that?

or that you hadn't actually read and understood the
Terms of Use when you'd stated that you had.  (But if either of those
assumptions is correct, then I certainly can't offer any apology.)

No I read them, but I remember them vaguely.

The reason I always stood to up help defend your right to use obsceneties • in
RTL years ago is because RTL doesn't have conditions on its use.  But for
better or for worse, this place is a little different.  If we lose you
because you can't stand the thought of posting messages here without the • use
of obsceneties, then I'm sorry to see you leave, but I'd rather that you
leave and we keep the no-obsceneties rule here than amending the no-
obsceneties rule just to keep you happy.  (Does that make any sense?)

I don't have any sort of problem with the no-obscenities rule. in fact, if
you dig through the early LUGNET archives, there was a discussion on whether
the rec.toys.lego should be carried on LUGNET. In that thread i advocated
carrying it here, but moderating it so the spam posts (and obscenities)
could be filtered out. Quite simply I would rather have been e-mailed about
this than had a pointed post made on the group. I post as I think (stream of
consciousness I suppose) and I sometimes I don't realize that I wrote what
you call "potty" words. If you think that I do it on purpose to piss you off
then you're sniffing too much ABS.

Anyhow, you read most if not all the messages posted here yes. If a "potty"
word gets posted why not edit it out. Can't speak for others, but I don't do
it on purpose.

It's
one of those "good of the many outweighs the good of the one" things.  Of
course, I'd *most* rather see you stop using obsceneties and *stay*, but
that's your decision.

Chill holmes.

Anyway, if you could re-read the Terms of Use to refresh your memory, that
would be great.

As far as public vs. private messages, please read below...

You've got a point there. Public praise, private criticism. (some good
advice that I ought to take myself sometimes (hi Mike P)....)

Larry,

Wouldn't you agree that while the public praise, private criticism formula
is a workable approach for small teams of like-minded individuals and FTF
groups, it's not really a workable approach for online forums with • archives?

That is, while private criticism may work to put an end to transgressions
(for lack of a better word) in particular cases, how does private criticism
help clean up the messes after the fact? -- for example an auction update • to
a non-auction group?  In the past, only a very small percentage of private
criticisms have resulted in someone voluntarily posting a follow-up to • their
own message pointing out their transgression.

Now you KNOW I would have done that if you wanted. Cmon already.

And note that simply
cancelling an article doesn't work -- because the article may already have
found its way into someone's newsreader.

So (for example) an auction update posted to a non-auction group *can't* be
left as-is.  It *must* be followed-up with a message of some sort pointing
out that auction announcements/updates belong only in the .market.auction
group.  If that isn't pointed out swiftly in each case, then people will
gradually conclude that it's OK, will they not?

Posting a message about it is one thing. Ripping me is another.