 Administrative / General / 2298
Re: Search for "BLOCKQUOTE" in lugnet.faq
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 18:18:08 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Robert Munafo wrote:
So, we have two choices. I can either write a script that loads in all 500+
lugnet.faq messages I haven't read yet and search them manually, or I can
suggest changing the search algorithm. Which makes more sense?

What's your motive?  I don't see any reason to change the <BLOCKQUOTE> tags
to something else.

But yeah, it would be pretty keen to be able to use non-alphanumerics in
searches.
[...]

My motive for searching the newsgroup was that I wanted to find all messages in
the newsgroup lugnet.faq in which people mention the issue of whether
BLOCKQUOTE tags should be allowed as part of the official FAQ format.

My motive for changing the BLOCKQUOTE tags into something else is that I wanted
to comply with the consensus of other people involved in making a standard
format for FAQ answers.

Right after I wrote that message, I decided to go ahead and load the 500+
lugnet.faq messages onto my machine, and search my local copy for "BLOCKQUOTE".
I discovered a few other FAQ entries that use the tag, but no other discussions
about its legality.

I'm not too concerned about being able to search for non-alphanumeric
characters in LUGNET messages, except maybe the hyphen issue someone else has
brought up. However, alphanumeric words like "BLOCKQUOTE" should be findable
even if they have non-alphanumeric characters adjacent to them, as long as it's
something the author originally typed in their message.

- Robert Munafo