 Administrative / General / 2297
Re: Colon character ":" getting changed to ">"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:50:57 GMT

I don't understand your answer at all. You say it's trying to "fix miscreant
the quote character ':' back into a '>'". I don't know what "fix miscreant"
means, but I do know that ":" and ">" aren't quote characters so I'm having
trouble figuring out why you would refer to ":" as a quote character.

Would you be willing to give your answer in a totally different way, like
explain what bad thing would happen if it didn't turn ":" into ">"?

Another thing you didn't address at all is why it gets confused by text that it
has artificially line-wrapped. The original text was typed in with one newline
per paragraph, and had no ":" characters at the beginning of a line. The
"intra-paragraph newlines" were put in by some script or program within LUGNET.
The only reason the ":" ended up at the beginning of the line is because of
these artificially induced newlines. If the script did the ":"/">" thing before
adding the extra newlines, the bug would be fixed.

- Robert Munafo

In lugnet.admin.general, Robert Munafo writes:
I typed in a message:

   http://www.lugnet.com/general/?n=5653

which happened to contain a colon ":" that ended up getting wrapped to the
beginning of a line, and the colon got changed into a ">". (You can use
"View Raw Message" to see it the way I typed it.)

That's the web display thingy doing its best to fix miscreant the quote
character ":" back into a ">", but it's failing miserably in the case you
discovered, because your ":" wasn't actually quoting anything.

The same thing would happen if you typed a ">" that ended up getting wrapped
to the beginning of a line, only it would actually come out as the right
character -- yet still in a different font style/color.
[...]