 Administrative / General / 2220
  Search for "BLOCKQUOTE" in lugnet.faq

The following message: (URL) the text BLOCKQUOTE, and yet a search for "blockquote" in the FAQ discussion group does not find it. Why? I am trying to search for all messages in which people mention the use of the BLOCKQUOTE HTML tag in FAQ (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Search for "BLOCKQUOTE" in lugnet.faq

(...) That's wery wery odd...I wonder if, in my late-night hacking that produced that evil search indexer, I told it to exclude anything in < >'s. Hmm, OK, yeahp, that's what I did...sorry. --Todd (25 years ago, 14-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Search for "BLOCKQUOTE" in lugnet.faq

(...) Okay, cool. Now I understand. An understandable "mistake". It might even be considered a feature. So, we have two choices. I can either write a script that loads in all 500+ lugnet.faq messages I haven't read yet and search them manually, or I (...) (25 years ago, 15-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Search for "BLOCKQUOTE" in lugnet.faq

(...) What's your motive? I don't see any reason to change the <BLOCKQUOTE> tags to something else. But yeah, it would be pretty keen to be able to use non-alphanumerics in searches. Cheers, - jsproat (25 years ago, 15-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Search for "BLOCKQUOTE" in lugnet.faq

(...) My motive for searching the newsgroup was that I wanted to find all messages in the newsgroup lugnet.faq in which people mention the issue of whether BLOCKQUOTE tags should be allowed as part of the official FAQ format. My motive for changing (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Search for "BLOCKQUOTE" in lugnet.faq

(...) Agreed! Again, I'm sorry for the "bug" and I don't know what I was thinking when I told the indexer to ignore HTML tags. I'll fix this when I re-work the indexer and add timestamps to the index. --Todd (25 years ago, 26-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Search for "BLOCKQUOTE" in lugnet.faq

(...) I'm tinkering with the indexer a bit and I think I remember now what I was thinking when I told it to ignore HTML tags before. I think I wasn't trying to filter out HTML... I think I was trying to filter out message IDs! (Durnit for not having (...) (25 years ago, 21-Aug-99, to lugnet.admin.general)