 Administrative / General / 2213
  Lugnet Search

Todd, Have you tried searching lugnet for S@H? :( Steve (25 years ago, 13-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Lugnet Search

(...) Since that's such a common term in the newsgroups, and since the newsgroups are what the search searches, that's not really a very useful thing to search by.... (25 years ago, 13-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Lugnet Search

(...) No, I haven't... Why, what happens? Something really gross? I can't remember if single-letters are indexed or not (I think they're thrown out). Anyway, the search indexer strips out anything that's not a-z. Not great, but it was one simple way (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Lugnet Search

(...) It's not gross. It just doesn't return any hits (I guess those single letters aren't indexed). (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Lugnet Search

(...) It's not useful by itself, but it is useful in combination with other terms. Well, it would be useful, if it worked. Steve (25 years ago, 14-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Lugnet Search

(...) Please index some of these characters. It is a real pain searching for "A-Wing", as it returns everything with the word "wing" in it. Last time I did this, I went through two or three pages without finding anything related to A-Wings. At that (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Lugnet Search

Searching for "+shop +home" produces about 1200 results. Is that enough for you? Or are you saying you want to find messages in which people abbreviate it as "S@H"? (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Lugnet Search

Jeff, I'm not sure what the problem is in this case. I just went to lugnet.starwars and typed "a-wing" in the search box. The first 5 messages in a row were the following five, which all mention A-Wings (most in the subject line!): (URL) you doing a (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Lugnet Search

First off, this was really just an example, but I guess I should've put a time frame in here. It was a couple months ago, before the new interface, when you could only search the entire newsgroup. I was looking for a specific message in cad.dat, I (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Lugnet Search

(...) Yes, I was looking for "S@H" specifically. It's not a super-big deal, Todd surely has higher priorities than tweaking the search engine. But it is odd when a very common term like S@H returns no hits. Steve (25 years ago, 14-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Lugnet Search

(...) Would it make more sense to limit the length of words, and skip super-long words? I hate arbitrary limits as much as the next programmer, but how many words are longer than (pick your number)? Steve (25 years ago, 14-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Lugnet Search

(...) Yeah, that might be a lot better. I really should find a "real" indexer more appropriate to this particular task, though -- rather than tweaking my own that was just a quick hack. --Todd (25 years ago, 14-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Lugnet Search

(...) You can probably bend Harvest to this purpose. I haven't used it in a while, and never with a custon-defined summarizer, but I think you could make it work. (25 years ago, 15-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)