 Administrative / General / 2159
Re: 8250 Search Sub
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 21:57:55 GMT

In lugnet.db.inv, Robert Munafo writes:
In lugnet.db.inv, Steve Bliss writes:
If you move the Part description to the end of the line, your Color
column will line up better.

[...]
To answer your comment:  My color column lined up just fine when I entered
the message.

Are you sure it really did?  I'm looking at the raw NNTP text article right
now, and it doesn't line up in all cases.  Most lines do, but of course any
line with a really long part description pushed the color over.  If you took
Steve's suggestion, and also used tab-delimited ASCII instead of spaces, it
would probably all work out better.

Unfortunately, lugnet stupidly insists on displaying messages in a
variable-width font,

This isn't stupid, although it may not be an appropriate way to display
messages in that particular group.

Nine out of ten news messages, being bodies of paragraph-based text, are
actually more readable with the default variable-width font (usually Times)
than with the default fixed-width font (usually Courier) because the default
size for Courier is super-huge and doesn't even fit in a 640-pixel wide
window (so good luck reading anything on a public library web browser :-).
Times compressed horzontally very well and remains readable even at smaller
sizes.  Courier looks terrible at smaller sizes unless you have anti-aliased
screen fonts enabled.

not the fixed width font that it uses in the "post new message" form.

That's just the default that your browser happens to use.  It's not being
set explicitly.

Also, unless you happen to be using a Macintosh, your browser
won't allow you to select a fixed-width font to use as your
"variable-width font".  We really need to get lugnet to fix their font
problem.  [...]

A robust solution (which will come later) would be to store a preference on
a user-by-user basis -- how do you want your messages displayed (what font)?
Then you can just set that to <FONT FACE="Courier"> or <TT> or whatever.  Or
maybe it'll happen via CSS and you can just store a self-created CSS page on
your local system.

A workaround for now, anyway, is a new link that you can click on at the top
of each message -- it says "View Raw Message" -- and clicking it pops up the
entire raw NNTP message as a MIME content-type of "text/plain".

--Todd