 Administrative / General / 1982
  Re: markup syntax for member pages

Regarding the comments for a markup language: I'm no genius and I learned the most basic HTML 1.0 in about 15 seconds. I think it is very easy to understand and completely intuitive. Why would I want to learn another markup language? A proprietary (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: markup syntax for member pages

(...) If HTML were chosen, then not only would it require a full-blown HTML parser/ validator to prevent garbage like <TABLE BORDER=8 CELLPADDING=10 BGCOLOR="#FF0000"><TR><TD> <FONT COLOR="#00FF00" SIZE="+4"><B> <BLINK>THIS IS MY <BIG>COOL</BIG> (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: markup syntax for member pages

Todd: Just a minor detail. (...) This one is actually legal. I think your suggestion looks fine (but it isn't much work to handle HTML if you use nsgmls[1]). Play well, Jacob 1) <URL:(URL) is generated by a _tcsh_ script that uses nsgmls for parsing (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: markup syntax for member pages

(...) Omitting the ; isn't deprecated and highly discouraged? I guess that wasn't a good example, anyway. The one I've seen people have the most trouble with is &copy; -- someone presumably has originally written Copyright &copy 1999 Blah blah blah (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: markup syntax for member pages

(...) heh heh, well, I guess geocities is out of the picture now, given the bad press they're getting: (URL) this whole recent Yahoo!/GeoCities stink yet another reason not to do full HTML hosting here. Not out of fear, but out of wisdom. The more (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: markup syntax for member pages

Thanks Todd for your concise explanation. It indeed makes sense. It did not occur to me that folks would use other that the most *simple* html tags. I guess that is why I am not a sysadmin type guy! Keep up the great work! John Matthews Todd Lehman (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: markup syntax for member pages

(...) they'll be OK. I see they've taken another step closer to this (the first step was to explicit state that they don't own the content, but that was actually a non-step). Now, they only claim a license to do whatever they want with the content (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)