 Administrative / General / 167
Re: Test of Real Life tag
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 14:33:29 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

Yup, I run a script and it tells me From lines that it doesn't recognize,
and asks who they are.

I saw that discussion after I started hacking around. Good approach.

Now, as to the anonymity aspect of things, I have been thinking about
this a bit. Don't take this as anything more than a thought starter.

What if there were a person who was willing to validate their bonafides
to you, but did not want their identity known to the general public and
did not plan to do any trading with that ID?

Say, for example, a person who worked for TLG, didn't plan to make any
official representations, but wished to speak about their experiences
without getting their email barraged by people.

I'm not saying that I know of any such person, or if I did, that this
person has or has not made any such contact with me, or if they have,
that this has come up. In fact I specifically disclaim any such specific
request (1) (2), I came up with this idea myself.

Is this totally nutty, or is it possible to have a situation where trust
is transferred? That is, I (or better, you) make a statement validating
bonafides but not revealing true identity?

This is not anonymity from the authorities. People know that if there
was an issue they could contact you and in turn the person. It's just
anonymity from the general public.

1 - but not that I know the private email address of someone who works
at TLG, nor whether or not said person has contacted me. For that you
only get a "no comment", not a denial.

2 - this putative person does not, I believe, know of LUGNET yet.
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.